- Caitanya-caritamrita is a rich repository of the vision, philosophy, theology, and early history of Caitanya Vaisnavism or Gaudiya Vaisnavism. It is essential reading for followers of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.
- The module covers topics such as historical context, sources, the divinity of Caitanya, the principal associates of Caitanya, role models, religious teachings, gender roles, Krishna worship, etc.
- The approach is largely thematic and analytic, with attention to historical considerations. It is not meant to be a devotional presentation as such. There will be some engagement with the scholarly perspectives that may be useful [or maybe not: scholarly views may also be a ‘purva-paksa’ — a position to be argued against] for a deeper appreciation of the text.
This module was part of Bhaktivedanta College’s former undergraduate Theology and Religious Studies degree.
There are ten recorded lectures (approx. 10.5 h in total).
- The identity of Sri Caitanya
- Principal associates as presented in Caitanya Caritamrita
- Caitanya Mahaprabhu as child, youth and “wild conqueror”
- Debates and alterity (‘otherness’)
- Teaching of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Gender and Deities
- Disciplic succession and Siksastakam
Certificate of Attendance
After successfully passing the quiz, students will receive a digital certificate of attendance to their email addresses. To request the certificate of attendance please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Self-study course: In the self-study mode, students can start and finish whenever they want as they immediately get access to all course materials.
Caitanya Caritamrita self-study course can be attended without any special prerequisites. Students do need to have basic knowledge of the bhakti-yoga philosophy in order to understand the topics presented in the course.
By clicking the enrollment button, you will be required to create a profile on BCOC – Bhaktivedanta College Online Campus (if you don’t have one already) and then proceed with the payment.